Summer Events Intern
Location: Grand Rapids Downtown Market
THE GRAND RAPIDS DOWNTOWN MARKET IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Thank you for submitting your application for an internship with the Grand Rapids Downtown Market.
This May-September internship position is under the direction of the Vice President of Marketing and Operations and the Market Events Coordinator. Internship is part time and approximately 25 hours per week. Nights and weekends required. Hourly wage is $9.25 per hour.
Event Management Responsibilities
The Summer Events Intern will take a leadership role in event planning, organization and oversight of all on-site logistics, while serving as the event manager of the following Downtown Market events:
MADE IN MICHIGAN POP-UP MARKETPLACE
(Saturdays: May 25, June 22, July 27, August 24, September 28)
A monthly artisan, gift, and food market featuring 50+ vendors. The event is free to the public and takes place outside under the Market Shed.
VINTAGE STREET MARKET
(Sundays: May 12, June 9, July 14, August 11, September 8)
A monthly vintage/antique market featuring 50+ vendors. The event is free to the public and takes place outside under the Market Shed.
MEET THE MACHINES
A weekday, family-friendly event where kids can see and meet up-close emergency vehicles, construction vehicles, and everything in between.
**Events subject to change based on 2019 schedule.
Other events, marketing, promotional duties will be assigned.
- Experience in hosting or assisting in event planning.
- Maintain high standard of customer service through planning and execution of events.
- Understanding of planning, logistics, and execution of an event.
- Knowledge of word processing, managing files and records, designing forms, and other office procedures.
- Highly organized.
- High–energy, friendly attitude.
- Honest and ethical.
- Reliable, responsible, and dependable, and fulfills obligations.
- Ability to work well in a team setting.
- Ability to use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability to develop constructive and cooperative working relationships with others.
- Ability to prioritize, organize, and accomplish your work.
- Ability to be careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
- Willingness to take on responsibilities and challenges.
- Ability to work long days.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Previous internships (or equivalent) in event planning. Public event planning preferred.
- Knowledge of Google platform, managing files and records, designing forms, and other office procedures.
- Pursuing Bachelors Degree in marketing, hospitality, event planning, or related field.
BENEFITS…THE FUN STUFF
What else do you get? Well, this is how much we value this position…
- Team-building activities year-round.
- Participation in employer supported healthy living challenges
- Mad Cap Coffee on demand!
- Super fun place to work everyday....lots and lots of delicious food options!
Weekends and evening hours are required during scheduled special events. Weekly schedule will vary as warranted by the events and as directed by the Market Events Coordinator.
The Downtown Market is a professional office. While the atmosphere is to reflect the spirit of fun and excitement, professional conduct, communication and responsibility to job functions is maintained at all times.
All employees are subject to background check and drug screening.
Applications, resumes and any other submission materials will only be accepted online through completion of this application. We will not consider any candidates or review any materials that are submitted via walk-in, phone, fax or email.