Summer Events Intern
Location: Grand Rapids Downtown Market
THE GRAND RAPIDS DOWNTOWN MARKET IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Thank you for submitting your application for an internship with the Grand Rapids Downtown Market.
This May-September internship position is under the direction of the Director of Marketing and Special Events and the Market Events Coordinator, and requires 25-40 hours per week depending on weekly event schedule. Minimum hours required: 400. Stipend of $1,500 provided and contingent upon successfully competing internship. Nights and weekends required.
Event Management Responsibilities
The Summer Events Intern will take a leadership role in event planning, organization and oversight of all on-site logistics, while serving as the event manager of the following Downtown Market Events:
MADE IN MICHIGAN POP-UP MARKETPLACE
(Saturdays: May 26, June 23, July 28, August 25, September 22)
A monthly artisan, gift, and food market featuring 50+ vendors. The event is free to the public and takes place outside under the Market Shed.
VINTAGE STREET MARKET
(Sundays: May 13, June 10, July 8, August 12, September 9)
A monthly vintage/antique market featuring 50+ vendors. The event is free to the public and takes place outside under the Market Shed.
KIDS AT THE MARKET
(Wednesdays: June 27, July 11, July 25)
A family-friendly event designed to entertain kids.
MEET THE MACHINES
A weekday, family-friendly event where kids can see and meet up-close emergency vehicles, construction vehicles, and everything in between.
Other event, marketing, promotional duties will be assigned.
- Experience in hosting or assisting in event planning.
- Maintain high standard of customer service through planning and execution of events.
- Understanding of planning, logistics, and execution of an event.
- Knowledge of word processing, managing files and records, designing forms, and other office procedures.
- Highly organized.
- High–energy, friendly attitude.
- Honest and ethical.
- Reliable, responsible, and dependable, and fulfills obligations.
- Ability to work well in a team setting.
- Ability to use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability to develop constructive and cooperative working relationships with others.
- Ability to prioritize, organize, and accomplish your work.
- Ability to be careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
- Willingness to take on responsibilities and challenges.
- Ability to work long days.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Previous internships (or equivalent) in event planning. Public event planning preferred.
- Knowledge of Google platform, managing files and records, designing forms, and other office procedures.
Pursuing Bachelors Degree in marketing, hospitality, event planning, or related field.
BENEFITS…THE FUN STUFF
What else do you get? Well, this is how much we value this position…
- Team-building activities year-round.
- Participation in employer supported healthy living challenges
- Mad Cap Coffee on demand!
- Super fun place to work everyday....lots and lots of delicious food options!
Weekends and evening hours are required during scheduled special events. See specific weekend dates above under "Event Management" section of this application. Weekly schedule will vary as warranted by the events and as directed by the Director of Marketing and Special Events.
The Downtown Market is a professional office. While the atmosphere is to reflect the spirit of fun and excitement, professional conduct, communication and responsibility to job functions is maintained at all times.
All employees are subject to background check and drug screening.
Applications, resumes and any other submission materials will only be accepted online through completion of this application. We will not consider any candidates or review any materials that are submitted via walk-in, phone, fax or email.