Summer Events Intern
Location: Grand Rapids Downtown Market
THE GRAND RAPIDS DOWNTOWN MARKET IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Thank you for submitting your application for internship with the Grand Rapids Downtown Market.
This May-September internship position is under the direction of the Director of Marketing and Special Events and the Market Events Coordinator, and requires 25-40 hours per week depending on weekly event schedule. Minimum hours required: 400.
Event Management Responsibilities
The Summer Events Intern will take a leadership role in event planning, organization and oversight of all on-site logistics, while serving as the event manager of the following Downtown Market Events:
MADE IN MICHIGAN POP-UP MARKETPLACE
(Saturdays: May 27, June 24, July 22, August 26, September 23)
A monthly artisan, gift, and food market featuring 50+ vendors. The event is free to the public and takes place outside under the Market Shed.
VINTAGE STREET MARKET
(Sundays: May 14, June 11, July 9, August 13, September 10)
A monthly vintage/antique market featuring 50+ vendors. The event is free to the public and takes place outside under the Market Shed.
KIDS AT THE MARKET
(Wednesdays: July 5, July 12, July 19, July 26)
A weekly family-friendly event designed to entertain kids. Scheduled partners include the Critter Barn, Grand Rapids Children's Museum, and more.
MEET THE MACHINES
A day-long, family-friendly event where kids can see and meet up-close emergency vehicles, construction vehicles, and everything in between.
Other event, marketing, promotional duties will be assigned.
- Experience in hosting or assisting in event planning.
- Maintain high standard of customer service through planning and execution of events.
- Understanding of planning, logistics, and execution of an event.
- Knowledge of word processing, managing files and records, designing forms, and other office procedures.
- building activities.
- Highly organized.
- High–energy, friendly attitude.
- Honest and ethical.
- Reliable, responsible, and dependable, and fulfills obligations.
- Ability to work well in a team setting.
- Ability to use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability to develop constructive and cooperative working relationships with others.
- Ability to prioritize, organize, and accomplish your work.
- Ability to be careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
- Willingness to take on responsibilities and challenges.
- Ability to work long days.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Previous internships (or equivalent) in event planning. Public event planning preferred.
- Pursuing Bachelors Degree in marketing, hospitality, event planning, or related field.
Weekends and evening hours are required during scheduled special events. See specific weekend dates above under "Event Management" section of this application. Weekly schedule will vary as warranted by the events and as directed by the Director of Marketing and Special Events.
The Downtown Market is a professional office. While the atmosphere is to reflect the spirit of fun and excitement, professional conduct, communication and responsibility to job functions is maintained at all times.
All employees are subject to background check and drug screening.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY
Applications, resumes and any other submission materials will only be accepted online through completion of this application. We will not consider any candidates or review any materials that are submitted via walk-in, phone, fax or email.