Spring-Summer Greenhouse Intern
Location: Grand Rapids Downtown Market
THE GRAND RAPIDS DOWNTOWN MARKET IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Calling all Green Thumbs! Are you a student looking for an opportunity to put your plant science education and skills to work in an urban greenhouse setting complete with amazing views of the city? The Grand Rapids Downtown Market's rooftop greenhouse serves as a multifunctional space for both growing plants and hosting events. Our greenhouses with over 6,000 square feet, interior and exterior live walls, live roofs, and rain garden require daily attention and year-round care.
Internship application review for the Spring/Summer Greenhouse Intern will begin February 1, 2018.
Greenhouse Intern Responsibilities
This May-September internship position is under the direction of the Greenhouse Manager and requires 20 hours per week. Stipend of $1,500 provided and contingent upon successfully competing internship. Some night and weekend shifts may be required.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Overall plant maintenance including pruning, watering, fertilizing
- Scouting for plant pests and managing plant pests
- Assist in planting and maintenance of all green spaces including live roofs, plant beds, containers, and live walls
- Assist in documentation of plant inventory, maintenance, fertilization, growth
- Assist in inventory of supplies including soil, fertilizers, cleaners, pest management tools, containers
The internship is applicable to these majors – botany, horticulture, and biology
- Requirements and skills sought:
- Currently enrolled in college and have the internship approved for class credit: must take
- the internship as part of class schedule, credit hours to be determined by student and
- Reliable transportation (car, bus, bike)
- Greenhouse or horticulture experience
- Be able to work independently after training, manage time well
- Reliable and self-motivated
- Ability to work well in a team setting.
- Ability to use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability to develop constructive and cooperative working relationships with others.
- Ability to prioritize, organize, and accomplish your work.
- Ability to be careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
- Willingness to take on responsibilities and challenges.
- Ability to work long days.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Pursuing Bachelors Degree in biology, botany, horticulture or related field.
BENEFITS…THE FUN STUFF
What else do you get? Well, this is how much we value this position…
- Team-building activities year-round.
- Participation in employer supported healthy living challenges
- Mad Cap Coffee on demand!
- Super fun place to work everyday....lots and lots of delicious food options!
Weekends and evening hours are required depending on greenhouse needs. Weekly schedule will vary as warranted by needs and as directed by the Greenhouse Manager.
The Downtown Market is a professional office. While the atmosphere is to reflect the spirit of fun and excitement, professional conduct, communication and responsibility to job functions is maintained at all times.
All interns are subject to background check and drug screening.
Applications, resumes and any other submission materials will only be accepted online through completion of this application. We will not consider any candidates or review any materials that are submitted via walk-in, phone, fax or email.