Special Events and Promotions Manager
Location: Grand Rapids Downtown Market
THE GRAND RAPIDS DOWNTOWN MARKET IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
This full-time position is under the direction of the Vice President of Marketing and Operations. The primary responsibilities of this position are (1) the planning and execution of on-site public events, and (2) the planning and execution of special tenant promotions, both with the goal of enhancing foot traffic to the Downtown Market. This position requires an on-site presence during events. Weekend and evening hours are required during scheduled special events.
Applications, cover letters, resumes and letters of recommendation will only be accepted online through completion of this application. We will not consider any candidates or review any materials that are submitted via walk-in, phone, fax or email.
IF YOU DESCRIBE YOURSELF LIKE THIS...PLEASE APPLY!
- You are a turbocharged multi-tasker who works on several (not just two) things at once, not because that’s the job, but because that’s the only way you know how to do things.
- You LIVE for executing successful, fun, amazing events and promotions because you know the power of providing experiences for people!
- You are creative and can generate the coolest event and promotional ideas ever. Things that no one else is doing!
- You are organized, efficient, and value a tightly run event.
- You have an incredible capacity to manage people and can handle lots of moving parts at one time.
- You get things done ahead of time, not on time.
- You anticipate needs and are one step ahead of the game. Every. Single. Day.
- Your area of comfort includes working with a team that is always busy.
- You can give one line of direction to a magnus opus of direction, depending on the task.
- You make minimal mistakes. Because you are incredibly detail-oriented. Incredibly detail oriented.
- You have been an Event Coordinator, Manager, Planner before.
- You are high-energy and super friendly.
- You are honest and ethical.
- You are reliable, responsible, and always fulfill your obligations.
- You are comfortable working with all kinds of people.
- You move effortlessly between Excel, Word, and all Google supported platforms – and are considered to be a guru.
Here is what you will be responsible for:
- Participate in the annual planning and creation of Market event schedule, including the generation of new events.
- Plan, coordinate and execute all aspects of Market-hosted public events, including: event logistics, vendor coordination, managing budgets, scheduling, and other tasks as required to ensure event success.
- Plan, coordinate and execute all aspects of Market-led tenant promotions.
- Coordinate with other departments to ensure event needs are met (ie: facilities, beverage, teaching kitchen, greenhouse, private events, etc.).
- Evaluate, track, and report program data.
- Maintain high standard of customer service.
- Knowledge of word processing, managing files and records, designing forms, and other office procedures.
- Maintain, nurture, and develop industry and key partner relationships.
- Represent the Downtown Market to the community through community outreach efforts.
- Direct and supervise intern(s).
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to, those listed above. As with every other job at the Grand Rapids Downtown Market, every person in the organization will assist in any way necessary to respond to new demands and to assure a cooperative work environment.
You have a ridiculous amount of SKILLS in:
- Understanding of planning, logistics, and execution of an event.
- Ability to manage one's own time.
- Ability to think creatively.
- Ability to work well in a team setting.
- Ability to use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability to develop constructive and cooperative working relationships with others, and maintaining them over time (specifically vendors, street performers, event partners and general public attending events).
- Ability to develop specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish your work.
- Ability to be careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
- Willingness to take on responsibilities and challenges.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
You have experience in these areas:
- Minimum five years of experience in event planning.
- Supervisory experience required.
- Experience in project management, program coordination and/or community building activities.
- Knowledge of Google platform, managing files and records, designing forms, and other office procedures.
This is what you learned in school:
- Bachelor's Degree in marketing, hospitality, event planning, or related field.
This full-time exempt position includes:
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Short Term Disability Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Paid Employee Parking
BENEFITS…THE FUN STUFF
What else do you get? Well, this is how much we value this position…
- Team-building activities year-round.
- Free culinary and beverage classes.
- Individual professional development and growth plan.
- Participation in employer supported healthy living challenges.
- Mad Cap Coffee on demand!
- Super fun place to work everyday....lots and lots of delicious food options!
THE KINDS OF THINGS YOU'LL BE DOING!
EVENTS HELD IN 2018:
- Vintage Street Market (5 dates)
- Made in Michigan Pop Up Market (5 dates)
- Nature Day
- Lil Green Thumbs
- Food Truck Event
- Cars and Coffee (2 dates)
- 5-Year Birthday Celebration
- ArtPrize at the Market
- Small Plates Big Impact (Market Fundraiser)
- Meet the Machines
- Kids at the Market
- Snacks with Santa
- Christmas Tree & Decor Lot
- Winter Wonderland
- Leasing Open House
- Wedding Showcase
- Private Events Showcase
- Incubator Kitchen Open House
TENANT PROMOTIONS HELD IN 2018:
- Comfort Food Friday
- Fall Flavors
- Finger Food Friday
- Flight Friday
- Spicy Saturday
- 12 Days of Flavor
The Downtown Market is a professional office. While the atmosphere is to reflect the spirit of fun and excitement, professional conduct, communication and responsibility to job functions is maintained at all times. All employees are subject to background check and drug screening.