Sales and Events Coordinator
Location: Grand Rapids Downtown Market
THE GRAND RAPIDS DOWNTOWN MARKET IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Amazing career opportunity!
This full-time position is under the direction of the Director of Sales and Events. The primary responsibilities of this position are managing the details and onsite coordination for all confirmed private events at the Downtown Market. Additionally, this position will contribute to generating leads and sales of private event spaces. This position requires an onsite presence during private events. Evening and weekend hours are required.
Applications, cover letters, resumes and letters of recommendation will only be accepted online through completion of this application. We will not consider any candidates or review any materials that are submitted via walk-in, phone, fax or email.
IF YOU DESCRIBE YOURSELF LIKE THIS...PLEASE APPLY!
- You are a turbocharged multi-tasker who works on several (not just two) things at once, not because that’s the job, but because that’s the only way you know how to do things.
- You LIVE for providing once in a lifetime event experiences for clients!
- You are organized, efficient, and value a tightly run event.
- You have an incredible capacity to manage people and can handle lots of moving pieces at one time.
- You get things done ahead of time, not on time.
- You anticipate needs and are one step ahead of the game. Every. Single. Day.
- Your area of comfort includes working with a team that is always busy.
- You can give one line of direction to a magnus opus of direction, depending on the task.
- You make minimal mistakes. Because you are incredibly detail-oriented. Incredibly detail oriented.
- You have been an Event Coordinator/Planner before.
- You are high-energy and super friendly.
- You are honest and ethical.
- You are reliable, responsible, and always fulfill your obligations.
- You move effortlessly between Excel, Word, and all Google supported platforms – and are considered to be a guru.
Here is what you will be responsible for:
- Onsite event coordination for all confirmed private events.
- Logistics coordination.
- Act as liaison between event staff and facilities staff as it relates to event execution.
- Creating detailed event notes for events taking place in the banquet and/or greenhouse as well as post-event evaluations.
- Client communications, both written and verbal, leading up to and during event.
- Ensure effective planning and communications between appropriate Market departments.
- Liaison between client and other event vendors.
- Responsible for upholding policies and procedures in the facility during events.
- Assistance and onsite coordination of Market hosted events on an as-needed basis.
- Organize and file all relevant client information.
- Event calendar management.
- Provide general administrative support
- Update promotional materials as needed.
- Organize and maintain event monthly overview list to be shared across departments.
- Keep all client and event files updated both physically and virtually.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Establish and manage client base to ensure that sales expectations are met or exceeded.
- Proposes and executes approved strategies and promotions to increase rental sales.
- Prospects for new business opportunities in the corporate sector or other assigned industries.
- Sources new contacts, leads, and sales through client referrals, cold calling, and site visits.
- Establishes and maintains positive customer relationships.
- Oversee client related correspondence and conduct follow ups in a timely manner.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key clients in order to produce additional business.
- Keep all client and sales files updated both physically and virtually.
- Ensure all sales processes are maintained to Downtown Market’s established standards.
- Other duties as assigned.
You have a ridiculous amount of SKILLS in:
- Driven, high-energy, self-starter; prefers working in a fast-paced and high-growth environment.
- Understanding of planning, logistics and execution of an event.
- Strong time management skills, as well as the ability to multitask and prioritize work in a fast-paced, high-volume environment.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and manage one’s own time.
- Able to work effectively within a team while maintaining a positive, constructive attitude when issues arise.
- Actively listens; clearly and effectively conveys information.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Willing to take on responsibilities and challenges.
- Ability to use logic and reasoning to identify strengths and weaknesses while working through various problems and solutions.
- Adapts to shifts in priorities and urgencies.
- Ability to remain calm under pressure and troubleshoot with quick decisions.
- Ability to properly allocate time so each client feels valued and important.
- Attention to detail and problem solving skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Learns and adapts quickly to a changing environment, including different client personalities and needs.
- Excellent selling, communication, and negotiation skills.
- Ability to build rapport with clients quickly.
- Ability to be careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
You have experience in these areas:
- 2+ years experience in events, sales, or hospitality driven field.
- Experience in Event Coordinating, Event Planning or other related field.
- Knowledge of Google platform, managing files and records, designing forms, and other office procedures.
- Knowledge of A/V and portable sound systems.
This is what you learned in school:
- Bachelor's Degree in hospitality, event planning, or related field.
This full-time exempt position includes health insurance, short term disability insurance, life insurance, paid time off, 401(k)…and that’s not even the fun stuff!
BENEFITS…THE FUN STUFF
What else do you get? Well, this is how much we value this position…
- Team-building activities year-round.
- Free culinary and beverage classes.
- Individual professional development and growth plan.
- Half days off before all major holidays.
- Participation in annual staff basketball tournament (HORSE).
- Participation in employer supported healthy living challenges
- Mad Cap Coffee on demand!
- Super fun place to work everyday....lots and lots of delicious food options!
Weekend and evening hours are required during scheduled private events. The Downtown Market is a professional office. While the atmosphere is to reflect the spirit of fun and excitement, professional conduct, communication and responsibility to job functions is maintained at all times. Attire is business casual or appropriate for event days. Work schedules may vary as warranted by the events and as directed by the Director of Sales and Events. All employees are subject to background check and drug screening.