Market Events Coordinator
Location: Grand Rapids Downtown Market
THE GRAND RAPIDS DOWNTOWN MARKET IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Amazing career opportunity!
This full-time position is under the direction of the Director of Marketing and Special Events. The primary responsibilities of this position are planning and overseeing all aspects and operations of on-site Market events, with the goal of enhancing foot traffic to the Downtown Market. This position requires an on-site presence during most Market-hosted events. Evening and weekend hours are required.
Applications, cover letters, resumes and letters of recommendation will only be accepted online through completion of this application. We will not consider any candidates or review any materials that are submitted via walk-in, phone, fax or email.
Below is the list of some of the events we have on the calendar for this year:
Vintage Street Market (5 dates)
Made in Michigan Pop Up Market (5 dates)
Food Truck Event
Market Motor Club
Market Masters Fundraiser
Meet the Machines
Kids at the Market
Berry, Apple and salsa themed events
Wooden Boat Show
Wearable Art & Home Decor Show
Christmas Tree & Decor Lot
IF YOU DESCRIBE YOURSELF LIKE THIS...PLEASE APPLY!
- You are a turbocharged multi-tasker who works on several (not just two) things at once, not because that’s the job, but because that’s the only way you know how to do things.
- You LIVE for executing successful, fun, amazing events because you know the power of providing experiences for people!
- You are organized, efficient, and value a tightly run event.
- You have an incredible capacity to manage people and can handle lots of moving pieces at one time.
- You get things done ahead of time, not on time.
- You anticipate needs and are one step ahead of the game. Every. Single. Day.
- Your area of comfort includes working with a team that is always busy.
- You can give one line of direction to a magnus opus of direction, depending on the task.
- You make minimal mistakes. Because you are incredibly detail-oriented. Incredibly detail oriented.
- You have been an Event Coordinator, Manager, Planner before.
- You are high-energy and super friendly.
- You are honest and ethical.
- You are reliable, responsible, and always fulfill your obligations.
- You move effortlessly between Excel, Word, and all Google supported platforms – and are considered to be a guru.
Here is what you will be responsible for:
- Coordinate the planning and logistics of all Market-hosted events, including: working with outside vendors, managing budget, execution of event, and other tasks as required for Market-hosted events.
- Represent the Downtown Market to the community through presence at Market-hosted events.
- Assist the Education Foundation as needed in the planning and execution of Foundation Fundraisers.
- Coordinate with other departments to ensure event needs are met (ie: facilities, beverage, teaching kitchen, greenhouse, events)
- Maintain high standard of customer service through planning and execution of events.
- Participate in the annual planning and creation of Market event schedule, including new events.
- Knowledge of word processing, managing files and records, designing forms, and other office procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
You have a ridiculous amount of SKILLS in:
- Understanding of planning, logistics, and execution of an event.
- Ability to manage one's own time.
- Ability to think creatively.
- Ability to work well in a team setting.
- Ability to use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability to develop constructive and cooperative working relationships with others, and maintaining them over time (specifically vendors, street performers, event partners and general public attending events).
- Ability to develop specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish your work.
- Ability to be careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
- Willingness to take on responsibilities and challenges.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
You have experience in these areas:
- Minimum one-three years experience in field of event planning.
- Supervisory experience preferred
- Experience in hosting or assisting in event planning, project management, program coordination and/or community building activities.
- Knowledge of Google platform, managing files and records, designing forms, and other office procedures.
- Knowledge of A/V and portable sound systems.
This is what you learned in school:
Bachelor's Degree in marketing, hospitality, event planning, or related field.
This full-time exempt position includes health insurance, short term disability insurance, life insurance, paid time off, 401(k)…and that’s not even the fun stuff!
BENEFITS…THE FUN STUFF
What else do you get? Well, this is how much we value this position…
Paid time off to volunteer at the charity of your choice.
Team-building activities year-round.
Free culinary and beverage classes.
Individual leadership and growth plan.
Half days off before all major holidays.
Participation in annual staff basketball tournament (HORSE).
Participation in employer supported healthy living challenges
Mad Cap Coffee on demand!
Super fun place to work everyday....lots and lots of delicious food options!
Weekend and evening hours are required during scheduled special events. The Downtown Market is a professional office. While the atmosphere is to reflect the spirit of fun and excitement, professional conduct, communication and responsibility to job functions is maintained at all times. Attire is business casual or appropriate for event days. Work schedules may vary as warranted by the events and as directed by the Director of Marketing and Special Events. All employees are subject to background check and drug screening.