Location: Grand Rapids Downtown Market
THE GRAND RAPIDS DOWNTOWN MARKET IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Horticulturist will provide horticultural leadership and vision and oversee the growing spaces of the Market, including greenhouses, live walls, green roofs, rain garden, planter beds, and all other interior and exterior landscaped areas.
Visit our online application to see our full job description, and if you decide to apply please include a resume, cover letter, three references. Submissions will only be accepted online through completion of this application. We will not consider any candidates or review any materials that are submitted via walk-in, phone, fax or email.
- Oversight of all growing facilities, areas, and related infrastructure to ensure all remains in good condition, including repair and replacement recommendations.
- Responsible for the budget creation and oversight, including purchases, procurement, and storage of all production and growing materials.
- Oversight, inventory management, maintenance, repair, and replacement of all of all greenhouse and landscaping equipment and supplies.
- Maintain documentation and record keeping for all areas of oversight and operations.
- Utilize inventory systems to maintain records of work, garden maintenance, and plant health as required.
- Train and supervise interns and volunteers, including: monitoring quality of work and horticulture, monitoring productivity and efficiency, establishment of priorities and work schedules.
- Select, interview, and onboard Greenhouse intern(s).
- Oversee related contractor work, ensuring standards and expectations are met.
- Develop programs and plans for efficient operation and improved horticulture practices.
- Assist with design, installation and removal of interior and exterior seasonal and holiday decor.
INTERIOR AND EXTERIOR GROWING AREAS
- Daily oversight and management of the growth, maintenance, and health of plants and landscaping through proper watering, fertilizing, pruning, cleaning, pest control, spacing, sanitation, transplanting, mulching, and other horticultural techniques. Plants are observed frequently and corrective measures are taken when needed in addition to as scheduled.
- Creation and management of annual year-round growing/aesthetic plans for all growing areas.
- Oversee design, planting and maintenance of all interior and exterior growing spaces, container plantings, annual display beds, specialty gardens, plant selection and placement, to ensure aesthetic direction and appeal.
- Monitor, identify and control plant pests and diseases. •Coordinate and oversee pest management program.
- Perform testing of: pH, alkalinity and nutrient levels of water, media and plants to ensure proper nutritional care.
- Develop, administer and grow maintenance program, including plant selection and ordering, irrigation, fertilization, pest, and disease control, pruning, planting, repotting and bio-controls.
- Operate and monitor the greenhouse computer control system to ensure the proper environment for all plants in the greenhouses.
- Optimization of revenue potential of Greenhouses through creation of unique, elegant and unparalleled plant collections.
- Drive revenue from plants that are grown or purchased through our plant sale program.
- Hands-on cleaning of greenhouse spaces, may include: drains, sills, floors, glass, etc.
- Ensure the cleanliness, aesthetic appeal, and temperature of the greenhouse for use by events/educational programming is maintained.
- Coordinate with events staff to optimize use of greenhouses as event rental spaces.
SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND REQUIREMENTS
- In depth knowledge of tropical plants, and annual and perennial plants (trees, shrubs, flowers, native grasses, ornamentals, etc.) that are commonly used in our climate zone.
- Ability to identify pests and plant diseases and understanding of pest control measures.
- Ability to diagnose plant nutrient deficiencies and treat as needed.
- Comprehensive knowledge and skills in all aspects of landscape management.
- Proficiency in plant terminology.
- Team player who is able to successfully and cheerfully manage a wide variety of on-going projects.
- Commitment to the highest standards of service to internal and external customers.
- Ability to remain calm under pressure to solve any situation in a timely manner.
- Ability to work independently and be self-motivated.
- Knowledge in the use of software programs including Microsoft Office and G Suite.
- Detailed, organized, and dependable.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Associate’s degree in horticulture, botany, natural science, greenhouse production, or similar specialized degree required (Bachelor of Science preferred).
- Minimum of two years of experience in horticulture in a greenhouse, botanical garden, conservatory, or public garden.
- Demonstrated experience working in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience with creating, maintaining, and executing an annual budget.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Professional office environment with frequent contact with employees and collaboration across departments.
- Willingness and ability to perform physical work in any weather conditions, including heat and humidity.
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time, carry, climb, stoop, and load/unload up to 50 pounds
Is this you?
You exhibit the following traits:
You get it done.
- Take initiative
You are a team player.
- Caring of others
You have a positive attitude.
- Celebrate success
You’re go to answer is not “no.”
- Problem solver
- Forward thinking
The Downtown Market works to provide opportunity and resources for food entrepreneurs that strengthen and celebrate the local food economy.
This full-time exempt position includes health insurance, vision and dental insurance, short term disability insurance, life insurance, paid time off, 401(k)…and that’s not even the fun stuff!
BENEFITS…THE FUN STUFF
What else do you get? Well, this is how much we value this position…
- Team-building activities year-round.
- Individual professional development opportunities.
- Free culinary and beverage classes.
- Participation in employer supported healthy living challenges
- Mad Cap Coffee on demand!
- Super fun place to work everyday....lots and lots of delicious food options!
- Food. Did we mention the food!?