Fall Events Intern
Location: Grand Rapids Downtown Market
THE GRAND RAPIDS DOWNTOWN MARKET IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Thank you for submitting your application for an internship with the Grand Rapids Downtown Market.
This September-January internship position is under the direction of the Director of Marketing and Special Events and the Market Events Coordinator, and requires 25-40 hours per week depending on weekly event schedule. Minimum hours required: 400.
Internship application review for the Fall/Winter Events Intern will begin June 1, 2017.
Event Management Responsibilities
The Fall Events Intern will take a leadership role in event planning, organization and oversight of all on-site logistics, while serving as the event manager of the following Downtown Market Events:
ARTPRIZE EVENTS AT THE MARKET
Events include: (1) Wearable Art & Home Decor Show, featuring over 45 local artisans; (2) ArtPrize Education Days, featuring art activities for kids in celebration of art and inclusion in the Grand Rapids community.
VERY MERRY MARKET DAY
A holiday-themed artisan market featuring approximately 45 artisan vendors.
CHRISTMAS TREE/OUTDOOR HOLIDAY DECOR LOT
(November 24-30 and December 1-10, specific dates TBD)
Outdoor tree sale (in the Market Shed) also featuring wreaths, garland, boughs, and other holiday decor items.
SANTA AT THE MARKET
(December 7-10, December 14-17, December 21-24)
Free visits with Santa for adults and kids alike.
A free family holiday-themed event featuring tenant promotions, holiday cooking demonstrations, holiday family activities, Santa, holiday cocktail bar, and more.
A free family event in the Market Greenhouse that features animals from Blandford Nature Center and the Outdoor Discovery Center. Family activities include kids greenhouse activities, ladybug releases, worm composting and more.
Other event, marketing, promotional duties will be assigned.
- Experience in hosting or assisting in event planning.
- Maintain high standard of customer service through planning and execution of events.
- Understanding of planning, logistics, and execution of an event.
- Knowledge of word processing, managing files and records, designing forms, and other office procedures.
- Highly organized.
- High–energy, friendly attitude.
- Honest and ethical.
- Reliable, responsible, and dependable, and fulfills obligations.
- Ability to work well in a team setting.
- Ability to use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability to develop constructive and cooperative working relationships with others.
- Ability to prioritize, organize, and accomplish your work.
- Ability to be careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
- Willingness to take on responsibilities and challenges.
- Ability to work long days.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Previous internships (or equivalent) in event planning. Public event planning preferred.
- Pursuing Bachelors Degree in marketing, hospitality, event planning, or related field.
Weekends and evening hours are required during scheduled special events. See specific weekend dates above under "Event Management" section of this application. Weekly schedule will vary as warranted by the events and as directed by the Director of Marketing and Special Events.
The Downtown Market is a professional office. While the atmosphere is to reflect the spirit of fun and excitement, professional conduct, communication and responsibility to job functions is maintained at all times.
All employees are subject to background check and drug screening.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY
Applications, resumes and any other submission materials will only be accepted online through completion of this application. We will not consider any candidates or review any materials that are submitted via walk-in, phone, fax or email.