Location: Grand Rapids Downtown Market
Season: Full Time, Exceptional Benefits Package Provided
The Grand Rapids Downtown Market is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This is a full-time, exempt position that reports directly to the Director of Facilities. This position will also be responsible for direct reports, which includes the Facilities Cleaning and Events Crew.
Under the general supervision of the Director of Facilities, the Night/Weekend Supervisor performs janitorial and event set up duties on nights and weekends, as well as supervises all aspects of the janitorial/event set staff as assigned.
The Supervisor is responsible for demonstrating and implementing safe work practices and procedures. The ideal Supervisor will be highly organized, with experience managing janitorial and/or events set up crews. Reliability, organizational skills and positive attitude are a must.
Availability Required: Wednesday-Sunday, 3:00pm-12:00am and other days/times as assigned.
Compensation: $16-$19 per hour, with full benefits.
- Health Insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- 401k Retirement Account with match up to 5%
- Short Term Disability
- Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
All employees must pass a pre-employment background check and drug screening.
Applications, resumes and letters of recommendation will only be accepted online through completion of this application. We will not consider any candidates or review any materials that are submitted via walk-in, phone, fax or email.
- Coordinate, schedule, supervise and participate in the work of:
- private event rental set ups, flips, and tear-downs.
- public event set ups, flips, and tear-downs.
- overall general facilities janitorial.
- exterior janitorial and grounds maintenance.
- janitorial for private event rentals.
- janitorial for public events.
- janitorial for private culinary experiences.
- janitorial for loading dock, biodigestor, waste mgmt/recycling areas.
- annual, quarterly, monthly and other janitorial projects as assigned.
- miscellaneous janitorial and event-set up as assigned.
- assist in the hiring, on-boarding and training of new employees.
- Inspect and ensure completion of work assignments.
- Attend training and seminars on safety issues; train custodial staff.
- Inspect buildings, grounds and equipment and request repairs as needed; make minor/interim repairs.
- Compile written reports as directed.
- Perform quality, service, and safety inspections; monitor employees for proper use of personal protective equipment, supplies, and equipment
- Act as the conduit of information between management and front-line staff.
- Track and maintain inventory of janitorial supplies.
- Report employee personnel, customer, and tenant issues to manager.
- Provide corrective action recommendations on areas that need improvement.
- Maintain detailed records.
- Evaluate, counsel and initiate performance appraisals and/or disciplinary actions along with Human Resources.
- Communicate with staff, administrators and clients.
- Maintain standards of work performance and replace absent custodians.
- Uphold all processes, procedures and policies of the Downtown Market.
- Oversees tenant and employee trash and recycling programs including trainings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Minimum two years of janitorial supervision experience.
- Knowledge of janitorial methods and procedures, materials, chemicals and equipment used in cleaning buildings and grounds maintenance.
- Knowledge of existing safety laws, rules, methods and procedures including applicable OSHA and EPA regulations to ensure the safety of staff, the public, and building occupants.
- Methods of planning, prioritizing, coordinating, organizing, scheduling and supervising
- Methods and techniques of inventory control and record keeping.
- Methods, equipment, tools and materials used in grounds and facilities maintenance, facility cleaning, and event set up.
- Basic risk management.
- Budget preparation and administration.
- Knowledge of principles of training and supervision.
- Knowledge of use, storage, and maintenance of custodial and grounds keeping equipment.
- Commercial kitchen cleaning experience preferred.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to assign, train, inspect and evaluate the activities of subordinate personnel engaged in janitorial and event set-up duties.
- Motivating, developing, and directing people as they work, identifying the best people for the job.
- Managing your own time and the time of others.
- Ability to multi-task, attention to details, customer service oriented, and positive attitude a must.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Interpersonal skills including tact, patience and diplomacy.
- Bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply (English/Spanish).
High School Diploma
Must be able to access all areas of facility. Must be able to tolerate extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, pollen, custodial and other chemicals, and inclement weather conditions. Heavy lifting required. All employees are subject to background check and drug screening.