Facilities Crew Member - Porter/Cleaning
Location: Grand Rapids Downtown Market
The Grand Rapids Downtown Market is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We are hiring for part-time facilities crew member positions, with potential to grow into a full-time position.
This position is part of the Facilities team and will assist in keeping areas of the facility clean, assist with event set-ups and tear downs, and contribute to the Greenhouse and Teaching Kitchen departments.
All employees must pass a pre-employment physical and drug screening. Reliable transportation is a must. Candidate must be available to work nights and weekends.
Applications, resumes and letters of recommendation are being accepted online and at the Downtown Market Administrative Office at 435 Ionia Avenue SW, in Downtown Grand Rapids. No phone calls please.
General Facilities -
- Monitor all interior and exterior areas for cleanliness including: lobby areas, dining areas, delivery areas, offices, and facility rental areas.
- Empty heavily used interior and exterior trash containers containers on regular basis.
- Wipe down table tops, counters and kitchen areas as needed.
- Clean, upkeep and restock public and private restroom facilities on regular basis.
- Maintain cleanliness of glass as needed (windows, doors, mirrors).
- Dust, vacuum, sweep, mop, etc. as needed.
- Assist with event set-up and break-down (heavy lifting required).
- Water greenhouse plants.
Teaching Kitchen - Dishwasher/Busser -
- Clear and clean tables and instruction areas.
- Sweep and mop floors
- Monitor and empty trash and recycling
- Clean and restock all utensils, dishes and cookware in a timely and organized manner.
- Wash and sort flatware, glassware, serving dishes and China.
- Follow proper closing procedures.
- Practice safe food and beverage handling at all times.
- Safely handle food prep equipment.
- Must handle cash, pre-bus and bus tables.
- Serve alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages (must be 18 years of age).
EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
General Facilities -
- Ability to work days, evenings, and weekends. Hours may vary.
- Minimum 3-6 months experience in general maintenance, housekeeping and/or janitorial.
- Ability to multi-task, attention to details, customer service oriented, and positive attitude a must.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to lift tables and chairs/heavy lifting.
- Ability to interpret a floor plan and set-up tables and chairs accordingly.
- Ability to water plants as specifically instructed.
Teaching Kitchen -
- Provide class participants with pleasant educational experience when interacting with them.
- Punctual with good attendance record.
- Positive attitude.
- Good communication skills.
- Constant standing/walking.
- Ability to carry up to 40 pounds.
- POS and bar equipment usage.
- Bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
High school graduate or equivalent.
Must be able to access all areas of facility. Must be able to tolerate extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, pollen, custodial and other chemicals, and inclement weather conditions. Heavy lifting required. All employees are subject to background check and drug screening.