Department Manager of Private Event Sales
Location: Grand Rapids Downtown Market
THE GRAND RAPIDS DOWNTOWN MARKET IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Department Manager of Private Event Sales is instrumental in ensuring consistent and effective internal processes and communications designed to strengthen the Grand Rapids Downtown Market private events, sales, beverage, and catering programs, with the goal of positioning the organization for continued success and long term revenue growth. This position is responsible for leading and directing all private events sales efforts to ensure all sales goals are planned and met on a monthly, quarterly, and annual basis as well as private event, beverage, and catering program oversight. This role directly oversees the individuals and respective responsibilities of the team. The salary range is commensurate with experience, base plus commission, approximately $65-$85k.
Visit our online application to see our full job description, and if you decide to apply please include a resume, cover letter, three references. Submissions will only be accepted online through completion of this application. We will not consider any candidates or review any materials that are submitted via walk-in, phone, fax or email.
ORGANIZATIONAL LEADERSHIP (15%)
- Participate on leadership team that contributes to the organization's overall vision, mission, values, beliefs, and strategic goals.
- Participates in executive team decisions and critical conversations.
- Attend and actively participate in leadership meetings, offering ideas, insights and recommendations on organizational policies, operations, staffing, customer and tenant experiences, strategic community partnerships, and other topics that ultimately impact the overall quality of the organization.
- Maintain an extensive network of community connections and strategic partnerships
- Develop organizational improvements designed to streamline internal systems and/or procedures.
- Achieve the organization's overall strategic goals working to contribute to the profitability of the organization.
- Ensure alignment of high-level organizational priorities with strong day-to-day operations and help evolve ideas into future-growth initiatives.
PROGRAM LEADERSHIP, EXECUTION AND DEVELOPMENT (35%)
- Oversee the day-to-day operations and administration of department.
- Build, implement and ensure both short-term and long-term sales strategies.
- Provide weekly and monthly sales activity reports.
- Ensure both team and individual sales goals are met or exceeded.
- Develop and monitor departmental budgets including revenue and expenditures.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key clients in order to generate and grow business.
- Formulate and implement all plans that guide the direction of the department.
- Work with Marketing Department to develop private event rental marketing strategies.
- Represent company through participation in community events and organizations
- Oversee related departmental strategic partnerships.
PRIVATE EVENT RENTAL SALES (25%)
- Prospect new private event rental sales opportunities, and establish and manage client base.
- Field incoming sales calls.
- Manage client correspondence and conduct follow-ups in a timely manner.
- Organize and attend internal and external client meetings.
- Prepare client proposals and contracts, and ensure deposits and payments are made in a timely manner
ADMINISTRATIVE OVERSIGHT/ STAFF DEVELOPMENT (25%)
- Lead, guide, direct, and evaluate the work of both direct and indirect reports, while developing staff to the next level
- Evaluate the success of direct reports through measurable goals, KPI’s and reporting.
- Guide and mentor sales team members to ensure sales growth and goal are met, including but not limited to: sales inquiries, lead generation, site tours, contract writing, client communication, troubleshooting and crisis management.
- Ensure event logistics team and vendors provide flawless execution.
- Maintain and ensure accurate and updated prospect and client records in SalesForce.
- Ensure detailed, accurate and timely departmental and interdepartmental communication as it relates to all aspects of private event rentals
- Ensure team members execute events to a high standard and to client specifications
- Recruit and train sales and coordinator staff.
- Reviews and submits departmental expense reimbursement requests and departmental time sheets.
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to, those listed above. As with every other job at the Grand Rapids Downtown Market, every person in the organization will assist in any way necessary to respond to new demands and to assure a cooperative work environment.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Proactive sales person with proven track record.
- Background in structured sales role.
- Ability and willingness to flex work hours for staff oversight when required.
- Ability to identify areas of business.
- Experience in private event rentals/planning.
- Ability to analyze data.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing.
- Strong and collaborative leadership skills.
- Driven, self-starter; prefers working in a fast-paced and high growth environment.
- Strong partnership building skills.
- Strategic thinker.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor Degree in business, hospitality, or other related field required.
- 3+ years of Salesforce experience
- 3+ years experience in leading and directing private event sales
- 5+ years experience in sales, demonstrated success in hitting sales goals
- 5+ years experience in building effective relationships
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Office environment with frequent contact with employees and collaboration across departments.
- Frequent computer work and the ability to sit and stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to lift up to 25 lbs
Is this you?
You exhibit the following traits:
You get it done.
- Take initiative
You are a team player.
- Caring of others
You have a positive attitude.
- Celebrate success
You’re go to answer is not “no.”
- Problem solver
- Forward thinking
The Downtown Market works to provide opportunity and resources for food entrepreneurs that strengthen and celebrate the local food economy.
This full-time exempt position includes health insurance, vision and dental insurance, short term disability insurance, life insurance, paid time off, 401(k)…and that’s not even the fun stuff!
BENEFITS…THE FUN STUFF
What else do you get? Well, this is how much we value this position…
- Team-building activities year-round.
- Individual professional development opportunities.
- Free culinary and beverage classes.
- Participation in employer supported healthy living challenges
- Mad Cap Coffee on demand!
- Super fun place to work everyday....lots and lots of delicious food options!
- Food. Did we mention the food!?