Culinary Class Assistant
Location: Grand Rapids Downtown Market
THE GRAND RAPIDS DOWNTOWN MARKET IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Application and three professional references ARE REQUIRED and will only be accepted online through completion of this application.
Culinary Class Assistant Responsibilities
- Assist Chef/Instructor during classes or private events
- Prep ingredients and equipment prior to classes
- Assist with cleaning dishes and kitchen during/after class
- Consult with chefs prior to classes to confirm class notes
- Maintain purchasing process for ingredients and supply items needed to ensure efficient timely events
- Maintain priority to purchase ingredients that are sourced from local, seasonal, and small business owners as adequately as possible
- Assist in maintaining program documentation, including outlines, recipe/ingredient lists, equipment lists, evaluations, budgets, tracking systems, etc.
- Responsible for cleaning kitchen, which include nightly, weekly, and monthly tasks per the teaching kitchen checklist.
Experience, Skills and Abilities
- Food industry experience preferred, but not required
- Serve Safe Certified within 3 months of employment
- Culinary, restaurant, or teaching experience preferred
- Knowledge of local chefs, restaurants and growers
- Ability to work days, evenings, and weekends. Hours may vary.
- Ability to exert physical effort for light to moderate lifting
- Bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply
Position is part time and is approximately 25 hours per week. Beginning hourly wage is $10-$12 per hour depending on experience. This position has the potential to grow into a Class Instructor role.
High School Diploma