Cooking Class Assistant
Location: Grand Rapids Downtown Market
THE GRAND RAPIDS DOWNTOWN MARKET IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Would you like to get paid to participate in a cooking class?
The Downtown Market's teaching kitchen is looking for fun and energetic people to join the team! Our Cooking Class Assistants get to work alongside our talented chefs during our cooking class events, enhance their culinary skills, and be a part of one of the most popular culinary programs in Grand Rapids!
The Cooking Class Assistant position is part-time, with shifts lasting approximately 6 hours. Classes are held every day of the week, so you must be available weekends and evenings.
Application and three professional references ARE REQUIRED and will only be accepted online through completion of this application.
Culinary Class Assistant Responsibilities
- Assist Chef/Instructor during classes or private events
- Prep ingredients and equipment prior to classes
- Assist with cleaning dishes and kitchen during/after class
- Consult with chefs prior to classes to confirm class notes
- Assist in maintaining program documentation, including outlines, recipe/ingredient lists, equipment lists, evaluations, budgets, tracking systems, etc.
- Responsible for cleaning kitchen, which include nightly, weekly, and monthly tasks per the teaching kitchen checklist.
Experience, Skills and Abilities
- Food industry experience preferred, but not required
- Serve Safe Certified within 3 months of employment
- Culinary, restaurant, or teaching experience preferred
- Knowledge of local chefs, restaurants and growers
- Ability to work days, evenings, and weekends. Hours may vary.
- Ability to exert physical effort for light to moderate lifting
- Bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply
Position is part time and is approximately 8-16 hours per week. Beginning hourly wage is $10-$12 per hour depending on experience.
High School Diploma