Chef Instructor - Independent Contractor
Location: Grand Rapids Downtown Market
THE GRAND RAPIDS DOWNTOWN MARKET IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Application and three professional references ARE REQUIRED and will only be accepted online through completion of this application.
Contracted Chef Instructors will take the lead on all culinary based programs. Program responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Create proposals, outlines, menus, recipes, ingredient lists, equipment lists, and other preparation materials for each class
- Instruct classes as outlined
- Provide direction and feedback to Market staff including Class Assistant and Kitchen Assistant during classes to ensure smooth and successful classroom operation and an outstanding, educational experience for participants
- Maintain kitchen operations and the highest standards of cleanliness
- Ensure adherence to applicable National, State, and Local Health and Safety codes
- Support the Downtown Market in marketing and promoting culinary program
- Maintain awareness and apply knowledge of culinary trends, local influences, and health/nutrition education
- Complete Profit and Loss forms to ensure program development stays within guidelines
- Assist in maintaining program documentation, including outlines, recipe/ingredient lists, equipment lists, budgets, etc.
Each proposed class will include the following:
- Class type/theme (examples include skill, adults, couples, kids, families, etc.)
- List of skills the class will learn.
- All recipes that will be made in the class.
- Ingredient cost for each recipe.
- Shopping list for each class.
- Timeline of how class will flow from start of prep to end of class.
- Brief description of the class.
- A photo that represents what the class would be making.
- Drawing that shows ingredient quantities, equipment, and how each station will be arranged.
Experience, Skills and Abilities
- Three to five years experience in culinary, restaurant, or culinary education required
- Ability to work evenings and weekends
- Ability to adjust teaching style to meet needs of class participants
- Passion for cooking, entertaining, local products, and the Market
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely both orally and in writing to multiple audiences
- Ability to handle, mix, serve, and pour liquor, wine, and beer
- Serve Safe Certified - preferred
- Knowledge of local chefs, restaurants, and growers
- Experience in working with diverse students
- Ability to lead a group, work as a team and build rapport with children of all ages
- Ability to develop and maintain constructive and cooperative working relationships
- Ability to think creatively
- Ability to manage one’s own time
- High energy and positive/friendly attitude
- Ability to schedule a significant number of activities
- Knowledge of word processing, email, spreadsheets and presentation software
- Ability to exert physical effort for light to moderate lifting
- Catering/food experience is a plus
All contractors are subject to background check and drug screening.
Contractor's hours and per class fee will be mutually agreed upon and outlined within contract. Contractor will be paid an agreed upon fee for each class taught, which includes hours spent developing class. Contractor will not be paid for the development of any classes that are proposed but do not move forward as final classes. Contractor must be available evenings and weekends.
Associates Degree in Baking and Pastry or Culinary Education, or related experience is required.