Building and Maintenance Manager
Location: Grand Rapids Downtown Market
THE GRAND RAPIDS DOWNTOWN MARKET IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Amazing career opportunity!
This full time position is under the direction of the President/CEO. This position directs the design, planning, construction and maintenance of Downtown Market facilities and property. The Downtown Market operates seven days a week, 24 hours a day. Due to the Downtown Market’s commitment to maintain a safe and clean Market, this individual may be required to report at times outside of their normal schedule if deemed necessary due to inclement weather and/or emergency situations. All employees are subject to a background check and drug screening.
Applications, cover letters, resumes and letters of recommendation will only be accepted online through completion of this application. We will not consider any candidates or review any materials that are submitted via walk-in, phone, fax or email.
IF YOU DESCRIBE YOURSELF LIKE THIS...PLEASE APPLY!
- You are an expert at anticipating building maintenance and grounds needs on a year-round basis.
- You are a turbocharged multi-tasker who works on several (not just two) things at once, not because that’s the job, but because that’s the only way you know how to do things.
- You love to be on your feet and active most of your work day.
- You have an incredible capacity to manage people and vendors and can handle lots of moving pieces at one time.
- You get things done ahead of time, not on time.
- You anticipate needs and are one step ahead of the game. Every. Single. Day.
- Your area of comfort includes working with a team that is always busy.
- You make minimal mistakes. Because you are incredibly detail-oriented.
- You have been an Building and Maintenance Manager before.
- You are high-energy and super friendly.
- You are honest and ethical.
- You are reliable, responsible, and always fulfill your obligations.
- Oversees the functioning of all building systems including mechanical, electrical, fire/life safety, plumbing, and waste management.
- Compliance with all local zoning laws, codes, ordinances, rules and regulations for construction, electrical, fire safety, health/sanitation, signage, accessibility, LEED certification.
- Responsible for developing budgets and long-range facilities plans based on company needs and future facilities needs.
- Develop preventative maintenance schedules, seasonal/annual maintenance schedules, and overall maintenance calendar.
- Monitors budget, approves and monitors contracts, and oversees contractors involved in facility projects and delivery of services.
- Daily Maintenance/custodial services and repair of structural features, fixtures, furnishings, operating systems, and landscaping of all Downtown Market areas, including interior and exterior common areas and administrative offices.
- Loading dock day-to-day operations and maintenance.
- Inventory control systems for supplies, tools, parts, and equipment.
- Management of waste management, parking and security systems.
- Maintains and updates all facility-related manuals, including Emergency Procedures, Facilities Manual, and Tenant Relations manuals.
- Participate in build-outs of Market Hall tenants.
- Advise President/CEO in matters pertaining to the facility and property.
- Work cooperatively with Greenhouse staff to ensure plant health and seasonal needs.
- Knowledge and maintenance of Greenhouse systems.
TEACHING KITCHEN/INCUBATOR KITCHEN
- Maintenance of kitchens, including equipment repair and ensuring best practices for cleaning of kitchen equipment.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Knowledge of mechanical systems, hydraulic systems, plumbing, and electrical systems
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local construction, safety, fire, health, accessibility, and sanitation codes and ordinances
- Advanced experience in a facility of this size, 138,000 SF preferred
- Knowledge of LEED Certification preferred
- Management experience
- Knowledge of how to clean industrial kitchen equipment
- Knowledge of safety protocols and procedures
- Knowledge of landscape and grounds maintenance
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints, engineering, architectural, and mechanical drawings
- Knowledge of computer hardware and software, programmable logic controllers, and other technologies
- Ability to manage one's own time and the time of others
- Ability to use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems
- Ability to develop specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish your work
- Ability to motivate, develop and direct people as they work, identifying the best people for the job
- Ability to be careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks
- Ability to work cooperatively with other departments
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to manage a project from beginning to end.
- Ability to work with and among all types of people.
- 7-10 years in progressively responsible experience in facilities/operations management and maintenance
- Experience in working in a fast-paced and highly visible role
- Bachelor's Degree in construction management or related field required
- Certification or licensure in electronics, HVAC, plumbing, refrigerant, pesticide/herbicide application or other field/trade relevant to the facility required
- This full-time exempt position includes:
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Short term disability insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
BENEFITS…THE FUN STUFF
What else do you get? Well, this is how much we value this position…
- Team-building activities year-round.
- Free culinary and beverage classes.
- Individual professional development and growth plan.
- Participation in annual staff basketball tournament (HORSE).
- Participation in employer supported healthy living challenges
- Mad Cap Coffee on demand!
- Super fun place to work everyday....lots and lots of delicious food options!
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Must be able to access all areas of facility and be available 24 hours a day.
- Must be able to tolerate extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, pollen, custodial and other chemicals, and inclement weather conditions.
- Must be able to access confined spaces for inspections and repairs.
- Heavy , moderate, and light lifting required, up to at least 50 pounds.
- Extensive walking and stair climbing as part of daily routine, on your feet and mobile the majority of the time.
- Able to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Must be able to climb a ladder at heights up to 50’.
- Must be able to operate a motor vehicle.