2018 Sales and Private Events Intern
Location: Grand Rapids Downtown Market
THE GRAND RAPIDS DOWNTOWN MARKET IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Thank you for submitting your application for an internship with the Grand Rapids Downtown Market.
This May-September internship position is under the direction of the Director of Sales and Events, and requires 25-40 hours per week depending on weekly event schedule. Minimum hours required: 400. Stipend of $1,500 provided and contingent upon successfully competing internship. Nights and weekends required.
Applications, cover letters, resumes and letters of recommendation will only be accepted online through completion of this application. We will not consider any candidates or review any materials that are submitted via walk-in, phone, fax or email.
IF YOU DESCRIBE YOURSELF LIKE THIS...PLEASE APPLY!
- You are a turbocharged multi-tasker who works on several (not just two) things at once, not because that’s the job, but because that’s the only way you know how to do things.
- You LIVE for providing once in a lifetime event experiences for clients!
- You are organized, efficient, and value a tightly run event.
- You have an incredible capacity to manage people and can handle lots of moving pieces at one time.
- You get things done ahead of time, not on time.
- You anticipate needs and are one step ahead of the game. Every. Single. Day.
- Your area of comfort includes working with a team that is always busy.
- You make minimal mistakes. Because you are incredibly detail-oriented. Incredibly detail oriented.
- You have experience with Event Coordinating.
- You are high-energy and super friendly.
- You are honest and ethical.
- You are reliable, responsible, and always fulfill your obligations.
- You move effortlessly between Excel, Word, and all Google supported platforms – and are considered to be a guru.
- Onsite event coordination for all confirmed private events. (weddings, corporate events, social events, etc.)
- Logistics coordination.
- Act as liaison between event staff and facilities staff as it relates to event execution.
- Creating detailed event notes for events taking place in the banquet and/or greenhouse as well as post-event evaluations.
- Client communications, both written and verbal, leading up to and during event.
- Ensure effective planning and communications between appropriate Market departments.
- Liaison between client and other event vendors.
- Responsible for upholding policies and procedures in the facility during events.
- Assistance and onsite coordination of Market hosted events on an as-needed basis.
- Organize and file all relevant client information.
- Event calendar management.
- Provide general administrative support
- Update promotional materials as needed.
- Organize and maintain event monthly overview list to be shared across departments.
- Keep all client and event files updated both physically and virtually.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Prospects for new business opportunities in the corporate sector or other assigned industries.
- Sources new contacts, leads, and sales through client referrals and cold calling.
- Establishes and maintains positive customer relationships.
- Oversee client related correspondence and conduct follow ups in a timely manner.
- Keep all client and sales files updated both physically and virtually.
- Ensure all sales processes are maintained to Downtown Market’s established standards.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ability to work well in a team setting.
- Ability to use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability to develop constructive and cooperative working relationships with others.
- Ability to prioritize, organize, and accomplish your work.
- Ability to be careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
- Willingness to take on responsibilities and challenges.
- Ability to work long days.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Previous internships (or equivalent) in event coordination/planning (private events preferred)
- Knowledge of Google platform, managing files and records, designing forms, and other office procedures.
- Knowledge of A/V and portable sound systems.
- Pursuing Bachelor's Degree in hospitality, event planning, or related field.
BENEFITS…THE FUN STUFF
What else do you get? Well, this is how much we value this position…
- Team-building activities year-round.
- Participation in employer supported healthy living challenges
- Mad Cap Coffee on demand!
- Super fun place to work everyday....lots and lots of delicious food options!
Weekend and evening hours are required during scheduled private events. The Downtown Market is a professional office. While the atmosphere is to reflect the spirit of fun and excitement, professional conduct, communication and responsibility to job functions is maintained at all times. Attire is business casual or appropriate for event days. Work schedules may vary as warranted by the events and as directed by the Director of Sales and Events. All employees are subject to background check and drug screening.