How To Make The Perfect Batter For Chocolate Cupcakes
Posted on June 16, 2016 by Downtown Market
We’re big fans of cupcakes here at the Market and, during the summer months (we like to refer to these months as “cupcake season”), we are able to bake a ton of them! When it comes to cupcakes, there are a lot of reasons to love them. However, we’ve found that actually baking cupcakes can get tricky for the less experienced. Frosting might seem like the hardest step to perfect, but we have found that the toughest part of baking delicious cupcakes comes down to making sure the batter is done correctly.
We’ve tried all kinds of different cupcake batter recipes, but far too many end up yielding cupcakes that dome up, aren’t moist enough, or are just too crumbly to handle. Luckily, we’ve been making cupcakes a long time and have had the chance to fine-tune our recipe. We have the process for making the perfect cupcakes down pat and we have a few tips to share!
One tip is to keep your ingredients at room temperature so that everything mixes together seamlessly. If your butter and eggs are cold, and the rest of your ingredients warm, the fat won’t emulsify and your batter will suffer. Another tip is to try measuring your ingredients with a scale instead of using a cup. What matters when measuring your ingredients is weight, not size, and this can be difficult to accurately determine when using measuring cups and spoons. A final tip deals with mixing the batter...don’t overdo it! Overmixing the batter can make your cupcakes dense and chewy, which is the opposite of what a good cupcake should be.
Below is a simple and sweet recipe for chocolate cupcake batter - one of our favorites! Follow the recipe (and try out the above tips) and you will be well on your way to cupcake success!
Recipe: Chocolate Cupcake Batter
The next time you’re looking to spend a some quality time with the kids, or maybe you’re baking up cupcakes for a party, follow the steps below and you’ll have the best chocolate cupcakes on the block!
- ½ stick butter
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 ½ cups of flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of sugar
- ½ cup of water
- ½ cup of sour cream
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- Place butter and chocolate in a large glass bowl and place over a pot of simmering water. Stir chocolate mixture until melted and smooth. Set aside to cool slightly for 10 minutes
- Combine flour and baking soda in a small bowl and set aside.
- In another bowl, combine eggs, sugar, water, sour cream, and vanilla. Whisk until smooth and add to the chocolate mixture.
- Add ½ cup of flour and whisk until smooth. Then add the remaining flour and whisk.
- Pour into lined muffin pans about 2/3 of the way up and bake at 350 degrees until set, about 15 minutes.
If you give this recipe a try, leave your feedback or any questions you have in the comments below. We are here to help :)